"A great figure or physique is nice, but it's self confidence that makes someone really sexy"
~Vivica A. Fox~
Hello all and happy hump day! We're halfway through this week and I'm definitely feeling hopeful about the sewing projects that await me this weekend. As we know life happens and things don't always work out as we plan but as I said I'm ever so hopeful about getting some things done. Today however I'm thrilled to finally be done tweaking the one shoulder cape sleeve top pattern I've been working on the past week and I'm so excited to display it here first for all my sewing loves!
Now when I tell you this top pattern gave me the serious blues during the first run it really and truly did! Don't get me wrong it wasn't so much the pattern itself as it was me having a serious case of the brain farts! The second time however was a breeze........well sort of! Although I managed to still confuse myself with the ins and outs of how I was going to fully line the top while eliminating the seam lines at the same time, I somehow managed to pull it off. If I had to pinpoint one thing that continually held me up it was trying to figure out how I was going to finish the hems and armhole of the bodice and cape. You see I really and truly dislike visible seam lines on a garment made of scuba and/or neoprene and as a result I wasn't left with very many options. I kept thinking how on earth am I going to do this as I envisioned with no visible seam lines at all! Well after tussling with with pattern and sewing process for far too long I decided to go with a little stitch witchery around the hem of the cape and bodice to avoid those pesky lines all together. I know, I know I have always been against this particular product or any other of its kind when it comes to my garments but hey I was at the end of my rope and thought shucks why not just see what happens.
The thing is it actually worked really well and saved me from grabbing a bottle of Merlot and truck load of chocolate to drown my sorrows in! All and all I have to say I'm pleased with the outcome and will definitely make a few more of these babies to add to my Spring & Summer wardrobe for 2017. I do plan on adding this to the draping series posted on my website once we get past the rest of the basic block (sleeve & skirt) tutorials, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime here's some photo's of the finished garment and a few of me working on the bias binding (made from the same fabric) for the sleeve treatment.